[MCA – THE MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART SYDNEY – on a very rainy day with Sydney Harbour Bridge in the distance]
The MCA was established to fulfil the museum aspect of the vision of Australian expatriate artist John Power (1881–1943), who bequeathed his personal fortune to the University of Sydney to inform and educate Australians in the contemporary visual arts.
With the relocation of the Maritime Services Board (MSB) to larger premises in 1989, the former MSB Building was donated by the NSW State Government to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Funded by the University of Sydney and the Power Bequest, restoration and refurbishment of the building commenced in 1990 under the direction of Andrew Anderson of Peddle Thorpe/John Holland Interiors and in November 1991 the Museum of Contemporary Art officially opened.
Extensions were commenced in 2010.